Personnel Updates

Barnes & Noble Inc. has named Carl Hauch as VP Stores.

Bridgestone Retail Operations LLC named Joe Venezia as President of the company. He most recently served as Exec VP Store Operations at Toys “R” Us Inc.

Dollar General Corp. named Carman Wenkoff as its new CIO, and Jason Reiser as Exec VP and Chief Merchandising Officer.

National Retail Federation named Cristina Ceresoli as Senior VP Retail Strategy.

Tiffany & Co. has named Alessandro Bogliolo as CEO, effective October 2, 2017.


Mergers and Acquisitions Inc. has completed its acquisition of e-commerce company, a leader in the Middle East’s online shopping market.

BBX Capital Corp. has acquired It’Sugar. The company said it plans to expand It’Sugar, which currently operates 95 locations in 26 states, by opening new retail stores in high-traffic leisure locations.

Liberty Interactive Corp., owner of QVC, currently owns 38% of HSN. Under the agreement, Liberty will acquire the remaining 62% stake, making HSN a wholly-owned subsidiary.

Sycamore Partners has confirmed plans to acquire Staples Inc. The deal is expected to close by this December.

West Marine Inc. is going private. The retailer has agreed to be acquired by New York-based Monomoy Capital Partners. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of this year.


Industry Insight

Target Corp. has launched a pilot for Target Restock, a next-day delivery service for household essentials and dry grocery items, in its hometown market of Minneapolis, MN. The service, available only to Target REDcard holders, comes with a flat fee of $4.99 per box.


Real Estate Inc. announced it will open an 850,000 sq. ft. facility staffed with robots and more than 1,000 workers in South Florida. Amazon expects to open the warehouse next year.

Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will open the largest version yet of its new dual-concept format, which combines its traditional kitchen and food products with home furnishings. The 7,000 sq. ft. store will be located at University Village in Seattle, WA.